Cricket is one of the mostly enjoyed sports these days on par with other sports such as football, hockey and tennis. People across the world are known to enjoy this game of cricket being played in different formats such as One Day Internationals, Test Match and T20. World Cup is being held for all formats except for Test Matches, which is soon on the cards.
Given below are some of the cool facts for you in this regard.
- English batsman Geoffrey Boycott is the first cricketer ever in the world to have faced the first ball after One Day Internationals were introduced. Graham McKenzie was the first bowler to bowl the first ball. Currently, Boycott serves as a cricket commentator and famous columnist.
- One of the legendary cricketers from India is Sunil ‘Sunny’ Gavaskar. During his childhood days, his parents were so perturbed with his loony behavior that they had to see him with the psychiatrist to offer a perfect treatment.
- Pakistan cricketer Shahid Afridi still holds the record for fastest ODI century in 37 balls. However, he achieves the dubious distinction of scoring it with a borrowed bat from pacer Waqar Younis.
- Chris Gayle, the most destructive batsman from West Indies, holds the record for the fastest century scored in just 30 balls. The Windies opener achieved this feat in the sixth edition of Indian Premier League against the now defunct team, Pune Warriors India.
- Duracell is the nickname given to the West Indies fast bowling legend Courtney Walsh. The lanky pacer was named so because of the increasingly unbelievable talent of bowling exhaustively longer spells irrespective of the playing conditions.
- Malcolm Marshall still holds the record as the most feared bowler the world has ever seen. One of the classic examples of his aura has to be mentioned here. After his devastating spell against India in its homeground, one of the local dailies exclaimed ‘Marshall Law in India’.