There is no indulgence quite like chocolate. We enjoy it in a variety of forms but are probably not aware of the interesting facts related to chocolates. Here is a compilation of 10 facts about chocolate:
1. The name ‘chocolate’ is derived from the word ‘xocalati’, meaning bitter water. The Aztecs combined cocoa, cornmeal and chilli peppers to form a drink that they called ‘xocalati’.
2. Chocolate reduces the risk of a heart disease by 35%. It is high on fat but doesn’t lead to a rise in your blood cholesterol levels.
3. Chocolate cravings can only be satisfied by chocolate itself, no other sweet or candy.
4. Chocolate acts as a mild anti depressant by raising endorphin and serotonin levels in your brain. It also contains a small percentage of caffeine.
5. America is one of the largest consumers of chocolate, accounting for 50% of the total chocolate consuming population.
6. People who have a large amount of chocolate are less likely to suffer from dementia during old age.
7. It can be statistically shown that countries with a high chocolate consumption rate are more likely to produce Nobel prize winners. This is a fact well documented by the list of Nobel Prize laureates.
8. As is famously believed, chocolate acts as an aphrodisiac by increasing serotonin levels in your brain. It leads to a better and brighter mood. It is also known to soothe sore throats and suppress your body’s reflexes.
9. Some people feel adept at solving mathematical problems after having chocolate. It is also proven by UK scientists who argue that having chocolate leads people to think faster and better.
10. Chocolates are not known to cause any allergies and lead to a reduction in the feeling of hunger. Another reason to grab that bar of chocolate!