The much loved author of the Harry Potter series has seen a series of ups and downs during the course of her life, much like the rest of us. However, what sets her apart is her popularity and writing genius. Here are 10 interesting facts about the author who defined a whole generation’s childhood:
1. J.K. Rowling shares her birthday with Harry Potter: 31 July!
2. She wrote her first book called Rabbit at the age of 6 but it was left incomplete. The book was about a measles infected rabbit.
3. The idea for Harry Potter was conceived in 1990 and she finished the book in 1995. The book was eventually published in 1997.
4. Rowling suffered from clinical depression, a disorder that gave birth to the idea of Dementors in the Harry Potter books. She also suffered from bouts of insomnia as a result of working too late for long hours. Her mother was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis during her teenage years and she shared a strained relationship with her father.
5. Her first book, ‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone’ was typed on a typewriter in various Edinburgh cafes.
6. She is the first ever writer to have become a billionaire. Now that’s some record!
7. J.K. Rowling admits her favorite book is the Chamber of Secrets though the Prisoner of Azkaban was the most fun book to write.
8. In a surprising span of five years, J.K. Rowling went on from being unemployed to becoming a billionaire writer.
9. For her second marriage to Neil Murray, J.K. Rowling bought her wedding dress in disguise. Such are the perils of glorious fame!
10. Around twelve publishing houses rejected her Harry Potter manuscript before Bloomsbury gave her the chance to publish her book. That the book would go on to become a part of one of the most popular series ever was a surprise.